Here are some websites that involve animal rights, environmental awareness, and vegan cuisine. You might find it contains some off-the-beaten path gems, as well as groups and places that have lent support to our local efforts.
- Field Roast Grain Company makes delicious sausages, frankfurters, breakfast links, deli slices and vegan cheese slices called "Chao" and a major contributor of frankfurters for the 2016 CARE Vegan Festival
- Pete's Produce CSA We buy only local corn for the annual CARE Vegan Festival.
- Phillip's Mushrooms is a supporter of the CARE's Vegan Festivals! Did you know Kennett Square, Chester County, is the "Mushroom Capital of the World"?
- Primal Spirit Strips Vegetarian jerky. Great hiking food!
- Sunshine Burger Company - Makes flavorful veggie burgers with a local distribution company in Allentown, PA
- Tofurky Do you miss cold cuts, Italian sausages, pesto...? Aw, too bad. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and check out their great vegan sandwich ideas. And even pizza!
RESTAURANTS IN PHILADELPHIA AND SURROUNDING SUBURBS
Philadelphia and the surrounding areas boasts 30 pure vegan restaurants!
Cooks have been using pressure cookers to save time for many years and along comes the Instant Pot to make it even easier and safer! Jill Nussinow, The Veggie Queen, wrote "Vegan Under Pressure" and popular author and vegan coach J.L. Fields talks about the impact of a pressure cooker on her life. See video above of Jill Nussinow showing how to cook beans in less than 10 minutes in the pressure cooker.
Need tips for starting out with a vegan breakfast?
Here you go – it’s time for your It's time for your #VeganStart!
Mauro of From A to Vegan reviews Chinese restaurants in and around Philly. Our local SuTao Cafe gets top billing!
Vance Lehmkuhl of the Philly Voice's V for Vedge column appears every other Thursday. V for Vedge celebrates and chronicles the growing trend of plant-based eating in the Philly area. He also writes a blog V for Vegan, keeps tabs on vegan happenings, plus trends in vegan foods and animal interests from a Philly perspective.
PERSONAL CARE & WELLNESS
As vegan awareness grows, a burgeoning list of businesses and healers has emerged to help people with the care they need. This is just a short list:
CLOTHING & PERSONAL STYLE
Visit Ecouterre FIRST to learn about the latest scientific developments in fabric technology.
- Bead & Reel - boutique clothing and accessories
- Compassionate Closet - online retailer
- Gaiam - yoga and fitness wear
- Grape Cat - clothing and accessories
- Gunas New York - hand bags
- Herbivore + Clothing
- Lookie Lou - apparel and accessories
Vegix facilitates technology services for vegan individuals, companies and non-profits. They offer discounted IT consulting, information security, computer repair, data recovery, networking, search engine optimization, online fundraising help, web design and hosting services.
- The great outdoors! If you'd like to get out and enjoy nature, you might wish to join us at the Chester County Trail Club. Trail walks start at just 5 miles and beginners are welcome.
GARDENING & ECO-FRIENDLY LANDSCAPING
Grow your own produce but do it veganically! Veganic gardening is done without the use of animal products or by-products, such as manure, bone meal, fish meal, etc. The North American Veganic (Vegan-Organic) Network shows you how.
Build community by increasing and enhancing community gardening and greening. Participate in a community garden near you!
Creating a wildlife corridor using natural plants and no fencing to allow wild animals to gain access, connecting communities across wide swaths of land is an environmentally-friendly option to staid grass and shrub schemes in suburbs. Find out how at the National Wildlife Federation's website.
Creating an attractive garden friendly to wildlife using water run-off is what rain gardens are all about. They are cost-effective and environmentally friendly. From the Philadelphia Water Council is this plan.
Pennsylvania, like other states in the U.S., has a series of native plants that are part of the living ecosystem that supports wildlife and conserves water. The PA Native Plant Society has a list of updated native plants.
Cowspiracy - Reveals the absolutely devastating environmental impact large-scale factory farming has on our planet, and offers a path to global sustainability for a growing population.
Tribe of Heart's A Peaceable Kingdom: The Journey Home - A work of art in support of replacing animal agribusiness with a whole new way of living.
Australian advocate for justice Philip Wollen: "Animals Should Be Off the Menu." This 10-minute speech was delivered at the Intelligence Squared Debate hosted by the St. James Ethics Centre and the Wheeler Centre on May 16, 2012.
Have you heard about humane, free-range, and sustainable animal products? We've seen these logos applied to products before, giving us permission to feel that at least animals were treated fairly but the Humane Myth Organization is a community of former farmers, animal rescuers, animal sanctuary founders, educators, and artists working to create a just and nonviolent future. One of their members, Farmer Harold Brown, a former beef farmer, spoke at the 2014 CARE Vegan Festival and is featured in the video below.
"Seasons of the Heart: Finding Balance Between Light and Dark When Walking the Path of Conscience," a presentation by James LaVeck, producer of Peaceable Kingdom: The Journey Home
P.O. Box 847
West Chester, PA 19381
P.O. Box 847
West Chester, PA 19381